December 19, 2013

Boxscore     PDF

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Redshirt junior guard Terence Smith poured in a game-high 19 points tonight for the University of Tennessee at Martin men’s basketball team but the Skyhawks fell 102-56 to the Arkansas Razorbacks at Bud Walton Arena.

Smith made six of his 11 field goal attempts, including a 2-for-3 performance from beyond the three-point arc. He also sank five of his six shots from the charity stripe for the Skyhawks (5-9), who saw their three-game winning streak come to an end tonight.

Myles Taylor and Bobby Jones each added eight points apiece for UT Martin, who got open looks throughout the night but shot just 27.5 percent (19-for-69) this evening.

Arkansas (8-2) was led by Coty Clarke and Bobby Portis, who each tallied 15 points and nine rebounds. Moses Kingsley had a double-double (12 points, 12 rebounds) off the bench while Rashad Madden and Michael Qualls scored 11 points apiece. The Razorbacks converted 60.9 percent of their field goal attempts (42-for-69).

“We just didn’t shoot it well and they did,” UT Martin head coach Jason James said. “Arkansas has an unbelievable sense of urgency and we caught them on a good night. We rushed some jumpers and passed up some open shots and that caused our low percentage.”

A Smith pull up jumper on a fast break put the Skyhawks on the scoreboard at the 17:47 mark. Arkansas would open up a 12-2 lead with just under 15 minutes to play in the first half but UT Martin responded with five unanswered points, capped off with a Dee Oldham three-pointer to make the score 12-7.

Javier Martinez kept the margin at five points (14-9) with a fast break layup at the 13:08 mark but the Razorbacks followed with five unanswered points. The Skyhawks would later score on three straight trips down the floor to stay within striking distance (29-17) but Arkansas used a 12-2 run to go on top 41-19 with 4:36 left to play in the first half.

The Razorbacks led by 27 points until an old-fashioned three-point play by Martinez closed out the scoring for the first half, making the score 49-25.

Smith compiled eight points to pace the Skyhawks in the first half, while Clarke and Portis each had nine points to lead Arkansas.

At the start of the second half, Smith picked up right where he left off – pouring in eight of the Skyhawks’ first 10 points over a span of 4:05. After Smith’s last bucket made the score 60-35, Arkansas would go on a 20-6 run.

Jones would go on a scoring streak for the Skyhawks midway through the second half, as the senior out of Memphis, Tenn. was responsible for eight of UT Martin’s nine points in a stretch of 2:09. However, Arkansas proved to be too much for the Skyhawks in the second half.

UT Martin returns home for its final nonconference game of the season on Saturday, Dec. 21 when it faces Southeastern Louisiana. Tipoff time from the Kathleen and Tom Elam Center is set for 4 p.m.