October 13, 2013

Boxscore     PDF

– The University of Tennessee at Martin soccer team needed just one goal to pick up their fourth consecutive win against Eastern Kentucky on Sunday afternoon. Aoife Lennon scored her third goal of the season to give the Skyhawks the 1-0 victory. The win marks the first time in program history that the Skyhawks have swept Morehead State and Eastern Kentucky on the road.

The Skyhawks (6-7-1, 4-1 OVC) were led by Lennon who scored the lone goal of the afternoon. Lennon and Dominika Conc each tallied four shots on the afternoon. Hannah McGowen, Amy Maksimowicz, Ellie Myrick and Ashlie Watson each tallied two shot each.

UT Martin used two goalkeepers on the afternoon as Mariah Klenke earned the start before suffering an injury in the 23rd minute. The Skyhawks turned to senior Sarah Tompkins for the remainder of the game, notching four saves in 67:24 minutes of action. The duo combined for the team’s fifth shutout overall and second of the weekend.

"I thought today was a great game especially for a Sunday," said UT Martin head soccer coach Phil McNamara. "Both teams played really hard. I thought we played a very consistent game for the entire 90 minutes but for sure brought anouther level of pressure to the second half. It was a huge six points on the road this weekend."

The Skyhawks tallied the first four shots of the game as McGowen got the action started at the 10:48 mark. Conc tallied her lone shot on goal of the game at the 17:30 mark but the Colonels’ Samm Melton registered the save.

Tompkins notched her first save of four at the 33:11 mark off a strike attempt by Amani Thomas. Thomas’s attempt was the only shot on goal for the Colonels in the first half.

Both teams would exchange several shot attempts to open the second period with the Skyhawks tallying nine of the next 11 attempts before finding the deciding goal.

On the sixth and final corner kick of the day for the Skyhawks, Dominika Conc found Lucy Pater who quickly connected with Lennon to give the Skyhawks the 1-0 advantage in the 78th minute. Lennon’s goal was her third of the season and second game winner.

Eastern Kentucky would fire three shots in the final minutes, but Tompkins proved to be too much for the home team, tallying two saves to preserve the clean sheet.

The Skyhawks will be back in action on Friday, Oct. 18 when they travel to Tennessee Tech a 3 p.m. contest. Following the Tech matchup, the Skyhawks will return home for their first of four consecutive home matches to close the season with Belmont on Sunday, Oct. 20 at 2 p.m.