September 1, 2017

Printer Friendly Version

Boxscore     PDF

MARTIN, Tenn. – Junior Amy McGivern and the University of Tennessee at Martin offense both shattered school records this evening as the Skyhawk soccer team battled to a 2-2 double overtime draw against Chattanooga at Skyhawk Field.

McGivern was responsible for both of UT Martin’s goals, with the second coming in the 88th minute. The game-tying goal came off of a double pass that began with Katelyn Colvin as she fired the ball in to Ashley Levingston, who found McGivern for the open look. Tonight’s 14 shots by McGivern breaks the previous Skyhawk single-match high set by Rianna Jarrett (12) against Tennessee Tech on Sept. 8, 2014.

UT Martin’s 44 shots put up tonight replaces the previous program record of 42, set against Southeast Missouri on Oct. 29, 2015. Junior Kaci Mitchell recorded five shots while Danae Kaldaridou, Sara Ketis and Nicole Collins notched four shots apiece. Colvin tallied three shots as Maggie Burkett, Alice Adams, Isabella Roberts and Levingston were credited with two shots each.

As a team, the Skyhawks generated 13 shots in the first half, 23 attempts in the second half and four apiece in the overtime periods. UT Martin outshot Chattanooga by a 44-9 margin while placing 14 shots on goal.  

Makenzie Crawford made her season debut tonight, starting in goal and recording three first-half saves in the process. Erica Myers picked up one save and played the remaining 65 minutes while keeping the Mocs off the scoreboard for the remainder of the match.

Coming off a second straight overtime bout, a total of five Skyhawks played the match in its entirety as Burkett, Kamryn Chappell, Ketis, Mitchell and McGivern all logged 110 minutes this evening.

“In the first half, we didn’t play well but we doubled up our opponent on shots,” UT Martin head coach Phil McNamara said. “We were at the wrong end of two unfortunate goals early but we dominated the second half and overtime periods. It was very impressive to hold Chattanooga to zero shots in the second half. It is unfortunate that we didn’t get the victory because we had plenty of opportunities to win but this match gives us a lot of confidence going forward. Ultimately, this is a positive step as we get closer to conference play.”

Chattanooga leading scorer Jordan Mueller gave the Mocs early momentum with a goal in the fourth minute. UT Martin controlled the first half tempo until Chattanooga’s Chloe Arnold snuck in a goal with seven seconds to go before the halftime break to put the Mocs up 2-0.

The UT Martin defense buckled down after the halftime intermission, with only three Chattanooga shots coming in the final 65 minutes.

As the match wore on, the shots kept on coming from the high-powered Skyhawk offense. McGivern recorded her first goal of the season off of a penalty kick in the 57th minute to trim UT Martin’s deficit in half.

McGivern’s magic continued with the equalizing goal at the 87:46 mark in regulation. Amongst a logjam of Moc defenders in the box, the Ballynahinch, Northern Ireland native found the back of the net to knot things up at 2-all.

The final 20 minutes were a true test of will as the two teams left it all on the pitch but could not come up with the golden goal.

UT Martin travels to Nashville, Tenn. to take on Lipscomb on Sunday, Sept. 3. Kickoff is scheduled for 5 p.m.

Event Calendar

« May 2018 »
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    

Coaching Staff
Statistics  PDF   OVC
Archived Stats/Guides
Live Stats
Recruit Questionnaire 
Soccer Camps 
Visiting Team Guide